Writing, reading, publishing or anything else....

.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Hi everybody, glad to see I had some people read the blog so far and I am happy to return the favor. I am just about done with my novel "Scammer." It's about a man named Jeff who runs a ponzi scheme and is visited by one of his supposed investors who has discovered his investment company is not on the up and up. Throughout the story, other investors learn of his deception and the story reveals the consequences of his actions. He entire life is effected by his actions from his family, friends and company.

I have been reading alot of stories by indie authors and I have found them to be quite good. It amazes me how good these writers are and I look forward to reading them in the future. I also encourage you to check out these blogs that I have been checking out.
http://www.bigphilparry.blogspot.com/
http://petercarroll.ravencrestbooks.com/
http://ravencrestbooks.com/    (dave lyons)

I believe that social networking is part of making a name for yourself in this ebook world. Getting your name out there is important, but I believe that it should be genuine, not simply for the sake of selling books. I think that's tacky and petty. I hope to build relationships with these authors as I stated before,"we are all in this together."
Years ago, you had a better chance of hitting lotto( well maybe not!) than getting published. Even if the writing is spot on, some editors wont give you the time of day since you arent represented by an agent.
It doesnt seem fair. But now with the introduction of ereaders, writers have more opportunities than ever.
It's nice that you can sample a chapter of an author or even pick up some for free or for .99 cents.
In this day and age, saving a few bucks on reading material is key and offers readers more chances to purchase more material.
Well enough rambling for today. Hope all is well with everyone and any comments, suggestions please let me know.
Thank you for reading-------anthony

5 comments:

  1. Hi Anthony. Good luck on your blog. I am in the middle of my first novel as well. Have you gone to any writer conferences? My first is in October. I have a 10-minute pitch session with an agent. I figure if I don't get any interest, I will definitely move to the self publishing route. I don't want to waste time.

    I am reading "How I Sold 1 million eBooks in 5 months!" by John Locke.

    We newbies have to keep ahead of the learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing. Good luck with your novel. What is it about? I havent been to any conferences, but have been in some writing groups. I wish you luck with the agent session. Self publishing seems to be the craze recently.
    I read John Locke's book as well as John F Merz's. They are both very good resources.
    Please keep in touch, I think we can all learn from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lisa, I'm in concurrence with Anthony that Locke's book is a must read. I only wish I'd read it before finishing my first novel, The Perfect Meal. Not to worry, though. As I begin my next, I'm allowing those ideas of targeted readers to guide the direction of the story/characters, et al.

    At this point not sure I'd even consider attempting the time and frustration of going the traditional publishing route. Visit J.A. Konrath's blog if you need more convincing on that front.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really agree with what you said about networking in a genuine way. I get a lot of follows on Twitter where it's obvious that they're just using the follow and their account solely as a form of advertisement, why would I want anything to do with that? Building a network is about making relationships, not pumping up your numbers. If you've got 1,000 followers who aren't interested in your content but only advertising, well, what good does that do you? Good stuff, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally true Jason. I get those as well (moneymaking schemes to make $1000 a day and so on) and they suck. I have to root them out every few day since they message me and now I get emails from them. Guess we all have to deal with it. I think all of authors and friends should stick together, as that's the best networking around. We all read each others work or even refer it to help each other out. Thanks for writing and joining, much appreciated. Anthony

    ReplyDelete