Writing, reading, publishing or anything else....

.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Self Publishing your novel

While doing some revisions on my novel before having it professionally edited, I've been checking how I am going to publish it. So far I have checked a few ebook publishers and they all seem pretty good. I have to say that Smashwords seems to be the best of them all. I think that I will have the cover art done by someone on Mark's List that I received from them. They have inexpensive ways to have a cover done for your book, as well as formatting if needed. I think that after I do that, I will upload it to Amazon although I have read that Smashwords will possibly be uploading directly there by the end of the year.
I have checked into Createspace for paperbacks if I decide to go that route. From what I've read online, if you use Createspace, they will upload a formatted copy for Kindle for $69...not 100% sure if that's correct. I am interested in how other self-published authors go about getting their books out there.
Drop me a line and let me know.  Thanks for reading----Anthony

11 comments:

  1. Hey AN,

    I had already formatted & uploaded to Kindle before going the CreateSpace option. But if you're going to do SmashWords, you won't be far off from having a file you can use for Kindle. Search on Calibre & download that to help with all your formatting. Easy peasy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks james, will defintely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Formatting isn't that hard, but if you need help, drop me a line. Probably better off not paying for it. takes a few hours at the most. cover art is crucial, i would have paid for it if I had the money. cost about 200-900 dollars and some of them will upload and format the book for you in the price. Good luck! I look forward to checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the help Chris. I think your covers look good; they have a great look for sci-fi feel about them. I have been reading the formatting guide for Smashwords and I may give it a go. I checked some cover artists on the web( Mark's List) and they seem reasonable and their work looked pretty good. Thanks again and I will get you a copy once done. Loved Progenitor and look forward to reading The Traveler's Companion. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In case you're interested, some of my experiences can be found at http://kiersquill.wordpress.com from the date of 3/1/11 and newer. It takes a lot more work to format for a printed book than for an e-book. Hop on board and let the winds fill your sales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi

    I used a local artist for my cover. Search for The Killing Cycle to see it. If you like it here is her FB page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=613896285

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not anywhere near this stage, but it's always interesting reading about the process. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anthony, The process is a little daunting at first, but once you've gone through it, like anything it gets easier. I have several links on my Stringing Beads blog sidebar about Indie Publishing. Lindsay Buroker's Savvy Self-Publishing.com is a great source of info. Mid-September she ran a step-by-step posting that was very practical. Good wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Timothy Owen...Hey thanks for writing.
    That's a sweet cover. Love the polar bear. I've been checking lots of cover artists, as I've read that the cover is very important. Thanks again for commenting.
    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Stacey S.Jensen... thanks for commenting. Thanks for checking out the blog. I am always interested in reading about authors and their journey to write a novel. Please share anything you can as I know it will help me and other writers. We're all in this together ---thanks again---anthony

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ deb maher---thanks for commenting. I will check those links out tonight. I appreciate the advice. It is quite daunting. I almost feel that writing the book was easier. I am now on my third edit. I think it's good and then I put it down a week and read it again and go about cutting and adding to it.
    Just glad the creative juices are still flowing. Thanks again--anthony

    ReplyDelete