Writing, reading, publishing or anything else....

.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Conquering writers block!

Hello friends,
     I've had a bad case of writers block for about 8 months now. Yeah, laugh it up and say, "how can you have writers block for 8 months?" Well I did. And how might you ask that i got rid of it? It was easy once I decided to stop being lazy. Sure there were numerous distractions; some unavoidable like work and my kids. Others were avoidable like watching way too much tv and seeing every movie in existance (amazon prime with streaming movies on my kindle fire is so addicting; as is angry birds).
So I told myself that I had to vanquish this demon once and for all. After all, my sequel to my debut novel was nearly half completed (minus editing of course) during Christmas of 2011 and I figured that I would've had it done by Spring of 2012. Yet the dreaded divorce and moving out delayed the project a bit and now spending as much time with my kids and being semi-liberated took away the time i usually spent on writing. Now, I'm not telling you not to spend time with your kids because I believe that it is very important to do (especially while they're young). But while I was watching the Knicks get ousted in the playoffs again, seeing the Dark Knight Rises five times or stuffing my face at Carraba's (the chicken parmigiana is sooooo good) I could have been---correct that should have been writing. Someone purchased my book in June, read it and loved it. They emailed me and asked when the next book was coming out. This got me going again and I am happy to say that I am nearly finished with the first draft and hope to have it edited and out by February 2013). When I say in front of the laptop and started to write I was sort of lost. I had been so in tune with what i was doing before that it was almost like I couldn't write anymore. I did some reading and hit some blogs to get some inspiration and got back to it. The writing was okay at best and I couldn't really say it was what I wanted. Then I figured," Hey, as long as I'm getting those words down on paper (or in this case the screen) I was making progress." Little by little, the pages grew and grew and as I've gone back and reread some of what I've written, I have to say that it is pretty good. I seemed to just open my mind and let the words flow. I have rehearsed some lines from the book while I would be driving (which may not be the smartest thing to do) and then transfer those thoughts down when I would get home. I think we as writers sometimes are too critical of our own work. Yes, sometimes it isn't the best but other times when we think it sucks, it really is good. My advice is to just keep typing away and typing away and go back and look it over at a later time. Sure there will be typos, miswritten sentences etc. etc. but at least the work is there and when you go back and rewrite and edit new thoughts will come into play and you as an author can shape it into something beautiful.
Any thoughts of this subject? Please share.
And on a side note-------------Go Giants (football and baseball)




No comments:

Post a Comment